Construction workers play a vital part in the NY economy, keeping the real estate market strong. Yet, these workers face a shocking number of job hazards. Despite laws enacted to keep construction workers safe, they are often harmed. Tragically, some construction workers die on the job, leaving their families to grieve a senseless loss.
Here are alarming statistics that show the danger of construction jobs:
- The private construction industry led all occupations in New York City job-related deaths;
- 22 construction workers were killed in NYC in 2018;
- 69 construction workers were killed in New York in 2017;
- New York’s construction fatality rate recently increased by 39%; and
- Most workers die on non-union job sites.
If your loved one was killed on a New York construction site, you need an experienced construction attorney. An attorney can help you seek justice and get compensation for your loved one’s death.
What Causes Construction Worker Deaths?
Construction sites can be dangerous, presenting many hazards. Construction workers trust supervisors to maintain a safe environment and equipment manufacturers to provide them with a reliable product. Even a small error by anyone involved in the construction industry can be fatal for workers.
Here are common causes of New York construction worker deaths:
- Being struck by a falling object,
- Electrocution, and
Every year, falls lead to construction workers’ deaths. Preventing fatalities requires thorough training, safe equipment, and responsible behavior. If an employer or a co-worker fails in any of those requirements, another worker could be killed. Employers must provide a safe work environment, and our attorneys will hold them accountable if they neglect this obligation.
What Compensation Is Available for a Fatal Construction Accident?
When your loved one is killed in a NYC construction accident, you have the right to pursue compensation. You may have several types of compensation available, depending on the specifics of the accident:
- Workers’ compensation death benefits,
- Wrongful death lawsuit against an employer, and
- Wrongful death lawsuit against a third party.
The attorneys at Ferrante & Koenig can research the details of your loved one’s death to determine what type of compensation you should pursue. Then they will work to get you every dollar you deserve.
Contact a Construction Accident Wrongful Death Attorney
We know that we can’t bring your loved one back, and monetary compensation seems insufficient. However, we offer you our full devotion to what we can do:
- Investigate the circumstances of your loved one’s death,
- Determine who caused their death,
- Determine your best path for maximum compensation, and
- Passionately advocate for the compensation you deserve.
A wrongful death lawsuit can provide for you and your family. However, it also holds the people who caused your loved one’s death accountable. Hopefully, facing liability also makes negligent employers improve safety standards. If that happens, your lawsuit could save the lives of other construction workers.
If you would like to learn more about workers’ compensation death benefits or file a wrongful death lawsuit, contact the attorneys at Ferrante & Koenig for a free consultation. We will listen with compassion as you describe your loved one’s experience, and we will work diligently on your behalf.